Morrison, Helen Balfour, 1900-1984
- Existence: 1900 - 1984
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Personal and professional papers of American photographer and artist Helen Balfour Morrison. Born in Evanston, Illinois in 1900, Morrison undertook several artistic photography projects that were exhibited throughout the United States during the 1930s and 1940s. Her longtime collaboration with dancer Sybil Shearer involved further artistic endeavors through stage lighting designs and filmmaking.
A preliminary inventory of photographs taken by Helen Balfour Morrison intended for a “Great Americans” series of portraits. The collection includes over 900 prints, with over 550 unique images. Individuals represent a wide range of professions including visual and performing artists, educators and academics, architects, journalist and literary writers, scientists, social activists, and business and government leaders.
Prints and negatives by Helen Balfour Morrison from her multiple trips to African American communities in Kentucky during the 1930s and 1940s.
Collection of publishing executive Robert Bruce Morrison, spouse of photographer Helen Balfour Morrison. Includes business correspondence, examples of advertising and marketing materials from several businesses, personal correspondence, and photographs by Helen Balfour Morrison.
- Manuscripts, American -- Illinois -- Chicago 3
- Photographers -- Illinois 2
- Photographs 2
- Advertising -- Newspapers 1
- African Americans -- Kentucky 1
- African Americans -- Pictorial works 1
- Bluegrass Region (Ky.) 1
- Clippings (information artifacts) 1
- Correspondence 1
- Fayette County (Ky.) 1
- Kentucky -- Pictorial works 1
- Lexington (Ky.) 1
- Manuscripts, American 1
- Negatives (photographs) 1
- Notebooks 1
- Photographs -- 1901-1950 1
- Photographs -- 1951-2000 1
- Portraits 1
- Print advertising 1
- Publishers and publishing -- Illinois 1
- Scott County (Ky.) 1
- Sugar Hill (Ky.) 1
- Women photographers -- Illinois 1
- Woodford County (Ky.) 1
- Zion Hill (Ky.) 1 + ∧ less