Skip to main content

Series 4: Choirs and Singers, 1956-1996


  • Staff Only

Scope and Contents

The structure of choirs within the CCC organization has evolved over time. What began as the Junior Choir of the First Unitarian Church grew into a program that consisted of singers from the church and the community. By the mid-1960s, the choir changed its name to the Chicago Children’s Choir and operated a variety of choir units, training programs, programs in schools, and the Lawndale Children’s Choir. The CCC held its first open auditions in 1966, bringing in additional singers from the community. This series documents the CCC units, school choirs, the singers and their parents, alumni of the choir, and other choirs.


  • Creation: 1956-1996


Conditions Governing Access

The Chicago Children's Choir records are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).

Audiovisual recordings in this collection have not been digitized and are unavailable for use at this time.


This series is arranged in seven subseries.

Repository Details

Part of the The Newberry Library - Modern Manuscripts and Archives Repository

60 West Walton Street
Chicago Illinois 60610 United States