Clu. Clubs and Organizations
Found in 77 Collections and/or Records:
Chicago philanthropic and social organization formed in 1876. Members have included Jane Addams, Helen S. Shedd, and Bertha Palmer. Collection includes a guest book and donor’s book, both leather bound, gilded and inset with semiprecious stone, and Annals of the Club volume 2.
Not-for-profit organization formed in 1931 by a Chicago group of women who met regularly at the Cordon Club and were interested in writing, editing, publishing and promoting children’s books. Collection includes four boxes of photos, bulletins, brochures, flyers and other miscellaneous items.
Scrapbooks, photographs, member’s papers and registers, document this Chicago social club’s history. Formally the Attic Club, Hamlin Garland founded the club as a forum and sanctuary for emerging artists, musicians, poets, architects and art enthusiasts. Formerly housed in the penthouse of Orchestra Hall, prominent members included Lorado Taft, John McCutcheon, Horace Oakley, Louis Sullivan, Vachel Lindsay and Charles Hutchinson.
The Commercial Club of Chicago was organized in 1878 for the purpose of advancing the commercial prosperity and growth of Chicago. In 1907 it absorbed the Merchants Club and the Industrial Club. The collection consists of typed memorials of various club members and trustees of Chicago institutions and businesses such as the Newberry Library, Marshall Fields, University of Chicago and Field Museum.
Formed to preserve and promote a progressive interest in literature, art and contemporary thought, the Contemporary Club of Chicago was the result of the merging of two Chicago woman’s clubs: The Wednesday Club and the Young Fortnightly. The collection consists of meeting minutes, yearbooks, program announcements, historical materials and other recordkeeping documents.
Programs and announcements of the Cordon Club of Chicago for performances and other events during the period 1917-1943.
Miscellaneous material relating to the Dill Pickle Club of Chicago, Illinois (1916-ca.1933) and its leading founder, John (Jack) Jones. The bulk of the collection, most of which was removed from two scrapbooks, consists of handbills, fliers, programs and posters announcing and advertising numerous lectures, readings, parties, plays and other regular activities. Also includes art work, business and membership items, clippings, a few letters, photographs, poetry and Jack Jones memorabilia.
Papers of Chicago NAACP and labor union leader E. Winston Williams, who served as president of the Chicago Southside NAACP chapter from 1971-1974. Papers also reflect activities of Ina D. Williams (wife of E. Winston Williams), who played an integral behind-the-scenes role in Williams' administration. Collection includes photographs, clippings, programs, brochures, and correspondence documenting the activities of the NAACP chapter and Williams’s involvement with Chicago labor unions.
Parish records, church bulletins and programs, business records, artifacts (including missionary artifacts), etc., of this church founded at Fort Dearborn in 1833 and now in Woodlawn. The congregation has included many prominent Chicago families such as the Shedds, Buckinghams, and Fields, and became one of the first racially integrated congregations in Chicago, in 1953. Also includes information on the Blackstone Rangers, who used to meet in the church in the late 1960s.
Chicago Woman’s Society founded in 1873 by Kate Newell Doggett. Records document the founding, operations, and activities of The Fortnightly of Chicago and its members. Includes historical materials, meeting minutes (restricted), scrapbooks, notices, member biographical information, members' and guests' papers, photographs, yearbooks, and other administrative and activity records.
Publications, official documents, song books, and other materials created by and related to the Industrial Workers of the World, an historic union and labor organization.
Seventeen mounted photographs of opera stars, many autographed to Frederick Setzler (1904-1983), who volunteered and then worked at the Chicago Civic Opera in the 1920s and 1930s. Also includes a Chicago City Opera Company season announcement from 1939-1940, an advertisement from the Chicago booking agent Frederick Barnes featuring names of musicians represented, and a 1967 clipping remembering the soprano Mary Garden.
Records of a small organization created in 1993 by Charles Balesi and the French Consul in Chicago to help coordinate efforts to preserve and restore historic French structures damaged by flooding on the Mississippi River. Includes materials relating to the founding and legal organization of the group, and reports, correspondence, memoranda, and other materials relating to specific projects.
Minutes, financial records, yearbooks, correspondence, membership information and papers written by members of this women's club devoted to literary and artistic culture. The club has met in Chicago's Gold Coast area for most of its existence.
Volunteer organization founded in 1975 by Lois Weisberg and Victoria Ranney to monitor and improve the Chicago park system and its recreational services. Records include an incomplete run of newsletters, a few annual and special reports, and files relating to art in the parks and other projects, which Cynthia Mitchell spearheaded. Also includes newspaper clippings about the organization's activities, and a few photos of Mitchell.
A large scrapbook containing material on the activities of this music-appreciation club for German-Americans. Chartered in 1869 with possible origins in the organization of a choir to sing at President Lincoln's lying-in- state in Chicago, the Germania Club became a meeting place for Chicago's German elite. The name was changed to the Lincoln Club during World War I and changed back in 1921.
Membership lists, lecture announcements, and annual meeting minutes kept by Louis Guenzel, recording secretary of the Society and a Chicago architect. The lists provide an inventory of prominent citizens of German extraction in pre-World War I Chicago, and also reflect the gradual withdrawal of support for German-centered activities prior to World War I.
Works, correspondence, and family papers of minister, social worker, professor, and founder of Chicago Commons settlement house, Graham Taylor.
Hubbard Street Dance Company (renamed Hubbard Street Dance Chicago in 1993) was founded by dancer and choreographer Lou Conte in 1977 and has become one of the most successful and most internationally known dance companies to hail from Chicago. Records include administrative files, publicity materials, and audiovisual records of performances of the company.
Papers, correspondence, scrapbooks, clippings, photographs, and publications of the Indian Council Fire, a Chicago-based organization supporting educational, legislative, and social services for urban and reservation Indians.
Non-profit Chicago artists' organization and gallery, founded in 1973, that encouraged the exploration of contemporary issues through exhibitions, performance, and educational activities. Materials collected by N.A.M.E. Gallery member Joseph Hanc, records document programming, staff, fundraising, development, and committee work of the gallery.
Club formed in Chicago during World War II, the purpose of which was to "cheer folks at home and keep up morale." The club often sent care packages of food or candy to servicemen overseas. Includes letters from servicemen, a few photographs, club minutes, and membership and dues lists.
Chicago author of German-American humor books, journalist, and active member of the Cliff Dwellers. Stein's papers include manuscript and printed works, including a substantial number of plays and sonnets for the Cliff Dwellers, and correspondence from friends and admirers.