Garrett A. Boge papers
Scope and Content of the Collection
Correspondence, artwork, and other professional files of designer and lettering artist Garrett A. Boge covering all facets of his career and documenting in depth his many type and other designs.
For the types there are drawings, specifications, printed specimens, and digital versions on 260 3.5 inch disks (not currently accessible). The collection also contains original calligraphy, student work, personal correspondence, and photographs.
The collection is arranged in eleven series, plus appendixes. Series 1-6 follow the order of Boge’s office and home files. Series 7-11 were created during processing; appendixes to five series were added in 2015.
- Creation: 1971-2013
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1982 - 2009
- Boge, Garrett A. (Person)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The Garrett A. Boge papers are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Garrett A. Boge papers are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biography of Garrett A. Boge
Kansas City, Seattle, and Rome lettering artist and type designer.
Garrett A. Boge (January 18, 1951 - ) is a lettering artist and designer who practiced under the professional identities of Garrett Boge Design (1976-1979), Image & Idea, Inc. (1982-1989), and LetterPerfect Design (intermittently from 1988 to 2008). From 1979 to 1982, he worked for Hallmark Greeting Cards, Inc. designing print products and typefaces. He was employed as typographic consultant to Microsoft Corporation in 1990 and 1991, where he worked on core fonts for Microsoft Windows 3.1. From 1992 to 1995 he was director of typography for the software company ElseWare Corporation. Between 1996 and 2001 he spent a large part of each year in residence in Rome, for some of that time as a visiting artist at the American Academy in Rome. During that time he researched inscriptional letter forms, made numerous rubbings, and created a number of display fonts based on Roman inscriptions. In all, he is credited with over sixty original type designs. From 1997 to 2000 he led (with New York designer Paul Shaw) a series of tours of Italy for those interested in letter forms. He retired in 2008.
31 Linear Feet (41 boxes and 7 oversize boxes)
Correspondence, original art, printed works, biographical information by and about Garrett A. Boge, lettering artist and type designer based in Kansas City, Seattle, and Rome, Italy.
Papers are organized in the following series:
- Series 1: Lettering and Design, 1983-2012
- Boxes 1-2
- Series 2: Hallmark type work, 1986-1991
- Boxes 2-5
- Series 3: LetterPerfect Design, Custom Fonts, 1991-2005
- Boxes 5-8
- Series 4: LetterPerfect Type Library, 1988-2005
- Boxes 8-17
- Series 5: LetterPerfect Design, Other, 1988-2007
- Boxes 18-22; 45-46
- Series 6: Legacy of Letters Tours, 1997-2000
- Boxes 22-26
- Series 7: Rome Residency, 1996-2002
- Boxes 26-29; 46
- Series 8: Miscellaneous and biographical materials, 1972-2013
- Boxes 29-32; 46
- Series 9 Oversize Materials, 1971-2001
- Boxes 32-40; 47
- Series 10: DVDs and Photographs, 1979-2003
- Box 41, 48
- Series 11: Digital Font Files, 1985-1997
- Boxes 42-44
Collection Stack Location
3a 59 7-8
Gift of Garrett Boge, 2014-2015.
Robert Williams and Garrett A. Boge, 2014- 2015.
- LetterPerfect Design (Organization)
- McVay, Myron W., Jr. (Person)
- Microsoft Corporation (Organization)
- Shaw, Paul (Person)
- American Academy in Rome (Organization)
- Boge, Garrett A. (Person)
- ElseWare Corporation (Organization)
- Garrett Boge Design (Organization)
- Hallmark Cards, Inc. (Organization)
- Image & Idea, Inc. (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Digital file formats
- Digital images
- Digital media
- Floppy disks
- Type specimens (documents) -- Missouri -- Kansas City
- Type specimens (documents) -- Washington State -- Seattle
- Calligraphers -- Missouri -- Kansas City -- Biography
- Calligraphers -- Missouri -- Kansas City -- Correspondence
- Calligraphers -- Washington (State) -- Seattle -- Biography
- Calligraphers -- Washington (State) -- Seattle -- Correspondence
- Designers -- Missouri -- Kansas City
- Designers -- Washington (State) -- Seattle
- Inventory of the Garrett A. Boge papers, 1971-2013, bulk 1982-2009
- Robert Williams
- Language of description
- Script of description