Italian Religious Broadsides
Scope and Content of the Collection
Collection of 154 religious broadsides printed in Italy between 1611 and 1697. All items were printed in Rome with the exception of four broadsides printed in Todi, Orvieto, Perugia, and Naples. Well represented printers include Francesco Cavalli, Giacomo Dragondelli, Ignatio de Lazari, Angelo Bernabò, Paolo Moneta, Francesco Moneta, and Marc Antonio & Orazio Campana. Broadsides were issued for various Catholic feast days and other religious occasions and the majority of items feature sonnets related to these topics. Particularly well represented topics include St. Catherine of Alexandria, Saints Cosmas and Damian, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Joseph, St. Lawrence of Rome, St. Martha, Michael the Archangel, St. Filippo Neri, St. Onuphrius, St. Ursula, the Holy Spirit, and the Virgin Mary and feast days associated with her.
Many broadsides were commissioned by confraternities or trade guilds and most were dedicated to clerical or noble patrons of these organizations. Some broadsides name the church where the religious celebration was held and these include Santissima Trinità dei Pellegrini, Chiesa di S. Marcello, Chiesa di S. Grisogono, Chiesa di S. Lorenzo in Miranda, Chiesa di San Nicola dei Cesarini, Università delli Barbieri, Santi Dodici Apostoli, Sant'Angelo in Pescaria, Santa Maria dei Monti. A notable exception to the religious theme is the last broadside in the second series, which is a sonnet signed by Nicolò Maria Solyma in praise of "La libertà nelle catene" by the composer Giovanni Pietro Franchini. Most broadsides feature woodcut ornamental borders and designs composed of type ornaments, initials, architectural columns, flowers, vines, or putti. Items illustrated or engraved with specific figures are noted in the finding aid's container list.
- Creation: 1611-1697
- Newberry Library. John M. Wing Foundation (Organization)
Materials are in Italian.
Conditions Governing Access
The Italian Religious Broadsides are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Italian Religious Broadsides are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.
1.6 Linear Feet (1 oversize box)
Collection of 154 religious broadsides printed in Italy between 1611 and 1697. These broadsides were issued for various Catholic feast days and other religious occasions; the majority of items feature sonnets related to these topics. Many broadsides were commissioned by confraternities or trade guilds and most were dedicated to clerical or noble patrons of these organizations.
Papers are organized in the following series
- Series 1: Individual Saints, 1611-1697
- Folders 1-51
- Series 2: Solemnities, Feasts, and other Occasions, 1660-1695
- Folders 52-58
Collection Stack Location
4 17 12
Purchased by the Newberry Library in 1960 and 1962.
Bob Williams and Lindsey O'Brien, 2016.
This inventory was created with the generous support of the Council on Library and Information Services, which is supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Moneta, Paolo, 1638- (Person)
- Neri, Filippo, Saint (Person)
- Onuphrius, Saint (Person)
- San Crisogono (Church : Rome, Italy) (Organization)
- San Marcello al Corso (Church : Rome, Italy) (Organization)
- San Nicola dei Cesarini (Church : Rome, Italy) (Organization)
- Santa Maria dei Monti (Rome, Italy) (Organization)
- Santi Apostoli (Church : Rome, Italy) (Organization)
- SS. Trinità dei pellegrini (Church : Rome, Italy) (Organization)
- Temple of Antoninus and Faustina (Organization)
- Università delli Barbieri e Stufaroli della città di Roma (Organization)
- Ursula, Saint (Person)
- Bernabò, Angelo, 1625?-1707 (Person)
- Catherine, of Alexandria, Saint (Person)
- Cavalli, Francesco, active 1627-1660 (Person)
- Chiesa di Sant'Angelo (Rome, Italy) (Organization)
- Cosmas, Saint (Person)
- Damian, Saint, -approximately 303 (Person)
- Dragondelli, Giacomo (Person)
- Joseph, Saint (Person)
- Laurence, Saint, of Rome (Person)
- Lazari, Ignazio de (Person)
- Marc Antonio & Orazio Campana (Organization)
- Martha, Saint (Person)
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint (Person)
- Michael (Archangel) (Person)
- Moneta, Francesco, active 1640-1667 (Person)
Genre / Form
- Borders (Type evidence)
- Coats of arms
- Printed ephemera
- Type ornaments (Type evidence)
- Inventory of the Italian Religious Broadsides, 1611-1697
- Lindsey O'Brien
- Language of description
- Script of description