Stuart W. Miller collection of Midwestern recipe books
Scope and Content of the Collection
Recipe books published by a wide range of organizations including food and appliance manufacturers, community organizations, churches, magazines and newspapers, utility companies, historic sites, and commodity marketing boards. Contains materials from throughout the Midwest, including Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Many of the books published by food manufacturers feature particular brands such as Bisquick or Crisco. In addition to recipes, materials include tips and tricks for housekeeping, etiquette and fashion, food and brand histories, and business advertisements.
- Creation: 1905-2008
- Miller, Stuart W. (Person)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The Stuart W. Miller collection of Midwestern recipe books are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Stuart W. Miller collection of Midwestern recipe books are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biography of Stuart W. Miller
"Stuart Miller, now retired, spent most of his career as a librarian working with information systems. Sometime in the early 1980s, he happened across some 1930-era food company recipe booklets at a book fair, was amused by the very outdated sex stereotypes therein, but discovered (somewhat to his surprise) that they were filled with some good recipes. He then realized that vintage cookbooks might contain what he had long sought: the perfect banana cream pie recipe. So he started collecting cookbooks and recipe booklets mostly from 1920-1960 until he ran out of room and decided it was time to share his treasure trove with others. [And he did indeed find the perfect banana cream pie recipe. Just ask and he'll send it to you.]" - Stuart Miller, Jun. 2018.
5.8 Linear Feet (14 boxes)
Recipe books published in the Midwest throughout the twentieth century. Many books also contain housekeeping, etiquette, and fashion tips; instruction manuals; food and brand histories; or almanacs.
Materials arranged in alphabetical order by publisher’s name.
Collection Stack Location
1 41 3
Gift, Stuart W. Miller, 2018.
The following materials have been separated from the collection for individual cataloging:
- American Stove Company – Lorain Cooking, 1931
- Calumet Baking Powder – The Master Cake Baker by Cleve Carney, Chicago, 1927
- Crisco – A Calendar of Dinners with 615 Recipes…including The Story of Crisco, approximately 1914
- Frigidaire – Frigidaire Recipes, approximately 1929
- Gebhardt’s – Gebhardt’s Mexican Cookery for American Homes, approximately 1932
- Gebhardt’s – Mexican Cookery for American Homes, undated
- General Mills – Betty Crocker’s Cook Book for Boys and Girls, approximately 1975
- General Mills – Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book, approximately 1963
- General Mills – Betty Crocker’s Guide to Easy Entertaining: How to Have Guests—and Enjoy Them, approximately 1959
- General Mills – Betty Crocker’s New Picture Cook Book, approximately 1961
- Mirro – Mirro Cook Book: Approved Recipes from the Mirro Test Kitchen, approximately 1939
- Mirro – Mirro Cook Book: Approved Recipes from the Mirro Test Kitchen, approximately 1950
- Paxton and Gallagher Co. – 1864-1939 Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Diamond Jubilee Cook Book Tested and Approved Recipes, approximately 1939
- Pillsbury – Balanced Recipes, approximately 1933
- Pillsbury – The Pillsbury Family Cook Book, approximately 1963
- Pillsbury – Pillsbury’s Best 1000 Recipes: Best of the Bake-Off Collection, approximately 1959
- Proctor & Gamble – The Art of Cooking and Serving, approximately 1937
- Proctor & Gamble – Splint, Sarah Field. The Art of Cooking and Serving, approximately 1930
- Watkins – Watkins Cook Book. Winona, MN: The J. R. Watkins Company, approximately 1938
- Watkins – Watkins Cook Book. 4th ed. Racine, WI: Whitman Publishing Co. for the J. R. Watkins Company, approximately 1943
- Amiet, Ernest E. The Palmer House Cook Book: 1044 Original Recipes for Home Use, Chicago, IL: John Willy, Inc., approximately 1940
- Ann Sather’s Restaurant: A Chicago Tradition. Chicago, IL: Thomas M. Tunney, Ltd., 1994
- Berghoff, Carlyn, et al. The Berghoff Family Cookbook: From Our Table to Yours, Celebrating a Century of Entertaining. Kansas City, MO: Andrews McMeel, approximately 2007
- Berolzheimer, Ruth, ed. The United States Regional Cookbook. Chicago, IL: Culinary Arts Institute, approximately 1947
- Blair, Gladys, ed. Prairie Farmer-WLS Cook Book. Chicago, IL: The Prairie Press, 1941
- The Book of Cookery: The American Housewife Collection of Tested Menus and Recipes—Appetizing and Practical. Chicago, IL: Manning Publishing Company, approximately 1931
- Church, Ruth Ellen. Mary Meade’s Kitchen Companion: The Indispensable Guide for the Modern Cook. Indianapolis, IN: Bobbs-Merrill, approximately 1955
- A Collection of Traditional Amana Recipes: Family-size Recipes of the Foods Prepared and Served in the Amana Villages for Over a Century. Homestead, IA: Homestead Welfare Club, approximately 1948
- A Cook Book Compiled by The Teachers of Home Economics. Rev. ed. South Bend, IN: Board of Education, 1951
- Country Kitchen Cook Book. St. Paul, MN: Webb Book Publishing Company, 1942
- DeKnight, Freda. The Ebony Cookbook: A Date with a Dish. Chicago, IL: Johnson Publishing Company, 1973
- Dutaud, Hannah. The Glorious Art of Home Cooking. Chicago, IL: Associated Authors, approximately 1935
- Hiller, Elizabeth O. The Calendar of Sandwiches & Beverages: 365 Delicious, Savory and Sweet Sandwiches and Beverages for All Occasions. Chicago, IL & New York, NY & Toronto, ON: The P. F. Volland Company, undated
- Hiller, Elizabeth O. The Calendar of Salads… Chicago, IL & New York, NY & Toronto, ON: The P. F. Volland Company, undated
- Hiller, Elizabeth O. New Dinners for All Occasions with Instructions for Formal and Informal Dinner Service. Joliet, IL: The P. F. Volland Company, undated
- Koues, Helen. The American Woman’s Encyclopedia of Home Decorating. Chicago, IL: Consolidated Book Publishers, approximately 1948
- Lepblon Fina’tinas Para Guam [Guam Cookbook]. Agana, Guam: Inetnon Famalao’an, approximately 1977
- Purity Cook Book. 208pp. c1932; Revised, 1937; Second Revision, January 1945
- Shuck, Edith G. and Herman N. Bundesen. The Chicago Daily News Cook Book, approximately 1930
- Shircliffe, Arnold. The Edgewater Beach Hotel Salad Book. Chicago, IL: The Hotel Monthly Press, approximately 1926
- Smiley, Annie E. Fifty Social Evenings for Epworth Leagues and the Home Circle. The League at Work Series. New York, NY: Eaton & Mains; Cincinnati, OH: Jennings & Graham, approximately 1894
Emma Florio, 2018.
- Inventory of the Stuart W. Miller collection of Midwestern recipe books, 1905-2008
- Emma Florio
- Language of description
- Script of description