Pullman Company records - Office of Finance and Accounts
Scope and Content of the Collection
Includes books of account, balance sheets, financial statements, tax returns, ICC accounting documents and reports, payrolls, revenue records, etc., of the Pullman’s Palace Car Company and the Pullman Company.
Although records are only partially processed, they are open and available for research. Unpublished inventory for processed record series and survey sheets for unprocessed series available in the library. See Pullman Record Group 03 Survey Sheets binder.
Forms part of the Pullman Company Records
This finding aid supersedes the Guide to the Pullman Company Archives (Chicago: Newberry Library, 1995)
- Creation: 1867-approximately 1980
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1867-1970
- Pullman Company (Organization)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The Pullman Company records are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Medical records and records of disciplinary action are closed for a period of fifty years after the creation of the record. Such records may be disclosed only to the named individual or his legal representative. Application and service files that may contain medical and disciplinary information will be reviewed and records removed before the files are supplied to a researcher.
Personnel records less than fifty years old and not specified in (1) above are open for research with the user's written assurance that information from the records will be used for statistical or summary purposes only and that no specific names or individually identifiable information will be disclosed. Such information may be revealed only if the individual or his legal representative agrees to its release, or if the individual is deceased.
Photocopies of open personnel records less than fifty years old are supplied only for the researcher's personal use and may not be reproduced. All copies must be destroyed or returned upon completion of work.
Subgroup 02: General Auditor’s records, Series 03: Ledgers, Journals, and Registers are stored offsite. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access.
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Pullman Company records - Office of Finance and Accounts are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections at email@example.com.
History of the Pullman Company Office of Finance and Accounts
The Office of Finance and Accounts, under general supervision of the Vice President and Comptroller, undertook all corporate accounting, including general accounting, financial statements and balance sheets, taxation, ICC reporting, payroll, car operations accounts, Mexican accounts, and all transactions concerning the company’s property and materials.
531.4 Linear Feet (42 boxes, 141 record cartons, 5 oversize boxes, 967 volumes, and 28 drawers of microfilm)
Office responsible for all corporate accounting. Includes general accounting, financial statements and balance sheets, taxation, ICC reporting, payroll, car operations accounts, Mexican accounts, and all transactions concerning the company’s property and materials. Forms part of the Pullman Company Records.
Papers are organized in the following subgroups:
- Subgroup 01: Vice President and Comptroller records, ca. 1910-ca. 1970
- Subgroup 02: General Auditor records, 1867 - ca. 1980, bulk 1867-ca. 1969
- Subgroup 03: Auditor of Disbursements records, 1887-1969
- Subgroup 04: Auditor of Receipts records, 1872-1969
Collection Stack Location
1 75-79; 4a Microfilm Storage
Gift of Pullman Family and Pullman Company, 1948-1981
Martha T. Briggs and Cynthia H. Peters, 1995
- Accounting departments -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History -- Sources
- Corporations -- Accounting -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History -- Sources
- Corporations -- Finance -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History -- Sources
- Manuscripts, American -- Illinois -- Chicago
- Railroads -- United States -- Accounting -- History -- Sources
- Railroads -- United States -- Finance -- History -- Sources
- Inventory of the Pullman Company Records - Office of Finance and Accounts, 1867- approximately 1980, bulk 1867-approximately 1970
- Martha T. Briggs and Cynthia H. Peters
- Language of description
- Script of description