Musicians Club of Women records
Scope and Content of the Collection
Administrative and financial records, publications, photographs, scrapbooks, and audiovisual materials documenting the activities of the Musicians Club of Women and its members. Materials primarily include annual reports, meeting materials, correspondence, programs, newsletters, yearbooks, photographs, and sound recordings.
- Creation: 1891-2019
- Musicians Club of Women (Organization)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Use
The Musicians Club of Women records are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Use of live performances from any audiovisual medium requires the notification of the Musicians Club of Women.
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Musicians Club of Women records are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org.
History of the Musicians Club of Women
Chicago musical club founded in 1875.
Originally called “The Amateur Musical Club,” the group held musical programs and assisted in charitable donations for women. Early concert performers included Jan Paderewski, Jose Iturbi, Alexander Scriabin, Dame Myra Hess, Edward MacDowell, and Maud Powell.
In 1880, the group gave its first “charity concert” to establish a music scholarship for women and support other women’s organizations in Chicago. The club changed its name to the Musicians Club of Women (MCW) in 1916. The first named scholarship was for Ava. W. Farwell, with subsequent named scholarships from Emma Roe, Lynne Harvey, Edith Newfield, Virginia Cooper Maier, Annemarie Gerts, Louise Hammond, and Elaine and Jerome Nerenberg. Since the 1980s, the club has sponsored monthly concert series, such as the Award Winners in Concert series in Preston Bradley Hall in collaboration with the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs.
10.3 Linear Feet (20 boxes)
Administrative, publicity, and audiovisual materials from the Musicians Club of Women, one of the oldest musical clubs founded in Chicago in 1875.
Materials are arranged in the following series:
- Series 1: Administrative, 1954-2019
- Boxes 1-5
- Series 2: Financial, 1959-2015
- Box 6
- Series 3: Club Materials and Publications, 1891-2018
- Boxes 6-14
- Series 4: Photographs, 1970-2013, undated
- Boxes 15-16
- Series 5: Scrapbooks, 1955-1990, bulk 1974-1990
- Boxes 17-19
- Series 6: Audiovisual, 1987-2014
- Box 20
Collection Stack Location
1 47 5
Gift, Mary Stolper and Harriet Marty, on behalf of the Musicians Club of Women, 2018.
Catherine Grandgeorge, 2021
- Musicians Club of Women records, 1891-2019
- Catherine Grandgeorge
- Language of description
- Script of description