John I. Monroe Collection of Exposition Postcards
Identifier: Modern-MS-Monroe Exposition
Scope and Content of the Collection
Collection of over 9,800 exposition postcards and related ephemera dating from the 1876-1986.
- Monroe, John I. (Person)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The John I. Monroe Collection of Exposition Postcards are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Ownership and Literary Rights
The John I. Monroe Collection of Exposition Postcards are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.
Biography of John I. Monroe
John Monroe is a postcard collector based in Washington D.C.
9 Linear Feet (70 binders)
This collection includes over 9,800 postcards and related ephemera documenting International Expositions and World's Fairs beginning in the late 19th and continuing throughout the 20th century. Both American and European expositions are well represented in addition to smaller trade shows and local fairs.
Postcards are arranged by topic.
Collection Stack Location
2 33 Above cabinets 2-4
Gift of John I. Monroe.
Katy Darr, 2018.
- Century of Progress International Exposition (1933-1934 : Chicago, Ill.)
- Exposition universelle (1900 : Paris, France)
- Exposition universelle et internationale (1905 : Liege, Belgium)
- Exposition universelle et internationale (1910 : Brussels, Belgium)
- Louisiana Purchase Exposition (1904 : Saint Louis, Mo.)
- Manuscripts, American -- Illinois -- Chicago
- Panama-Pacific International Exposition (1915 : San Francisco, Calif.)
- World's Columbian Exposition (1893 : Chicago, Ill.)
- Inventory of the John I. Monroe Collection of Exposition Postcards, 1876-1986
- Katy Darr
- Language of description
- Script of description