Skip to main content

First Presbyterian Church records

 Collection
Identifier: Midwest-MS-First-Presbyterian

Abstract

Parish records, church bulletins and programs, business records, artifacts (including missionary artifacts), etc., of this church founded at Fort Dearborn in 1833 and now in Woodlawn. The congregation has included many prominent Chicago families such as the Shedds, Buckinghams, and Fields, and became one of the first racially integrated congregations in Chicago, in 1953. Also includes information on the Blackstone Rangers, who used to meet in the church in the late 1960s.

Dates

  • 1833-1999

Creator

Language

Materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unprocessed and is available by appointment only. Please contact reference@newberry.org at least 5 business days in advance to request an appointment.

Extent

90 Linear Feet (90 cartons)

Physical Location

1 18 2-6
Title
First Presbyterian Church records, 1833-1999
Status
In Process
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the The Newberry Library - Modern Manuscripts Repository

Contact:
60 West Walton Street
Chicago Illinois 60610 United States
312-255-3512