D.F. Barry photographs of Hunkpapa Indians
Studio portraits of Hunkpapa chiefs Crow King, Gall, Sitting Bull, and Rain in the Face, as well as Standing Holy (Sitting Bull's daughter), Shooting Star (identified as a Sioux woman), and D.F. Barry with Rain in the Face. The images were taken at Fort Buford in 1881, at Bismarck in 1885, and possibly elsewhere in the Dakota Territory, but most of them were printed from the negatives and sold from Barry's Superior, Wisconsin, studio in the 1890s or later.
- Creation: approximately 1881-1920
Biographical / Historical
Bismarck, Dakota Territory and North Dakota, and Superior, Wisconsin, photographer.,Born in Honeoye Falls, N.Y., in 1854, D.F. Barry learned photography from O.S. Goff when Goff was an itinerant photographer operating from Portage, Wisconsin. In 1878, Goff took on Barry as his assistant and Barry managed his studio in Bismarck while Goff toured and photographed plains forts. In 1880 Barry set up a mobile gallery at Fort Buford, Dakota Territory, and later travelled to many forts, capturing Indians in both portraits and natural settings. By 1884, Barry had purchased Goff's Bismarck studio including Goff's own negatives, which Barry later marketed as his own. Barry moved his studio to Superior, Wisconsin, in 1890, and with the exception of one year when he opened a studio in New York City, he remained in Superior until his death in 1934.
2.1 Linear Feet (10 photographic prints in 1 box)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Photograph Collection (Newberry Library)
Alternate Form Available
Also available on microfilm at the Newberry Library.
Title supplied by cataloger.
- Crow King -- Portraits (Person)
- Edward E. Ayer Photograph Collection (Newberry Library) (Organization)
- Gall, approximately 1840-1894 -- Portraits (Person)
- Rain in the Face, approximately 1835-1905 -- Portraits (Person)
- Barry, D. F. (David Francis), 1854-1934 -- Portraits (Person)
- Shooting Star -- Portraits (Person)
- Sitting Bull, 1831-1890 -- Portraits (Person)
- Standing Holy -- Portraits (Person)
Genre / Form
- Photographs -- Dakota Territory -- 1851-1900
- Photographs -- Dakota Territory -- 1901-1950
- Photographs -- Wisconsin -- Superior -- 1851-1900
- Photographs -- Wisconsin -- Superior -- 1901-1950
- Portrait photographs -- Dakota Territory -- 1851-1900
- Portrait photographs -- Dakota Territory -- 1901-1950
- D.F. Barry photographs of Hunkpapa Indians, approximately 1881-1920
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description