James J. Dana papers
Military commissions and appointments, 1841-1882, with some transmittal letters, and an 1890 certificate of membership in the Washington, D.C. Society of the Sons of the American Revolution. Includes an 1841 Massachusetts Militia commission and nine appointments issued and signed by U.S. Presidents Pierce, Lincoln, Johnson, and Arthur, and Secretaries of War Jefferson Davis, Edwin Stanton, and Robert T. Lincoln to regular and brevet ranks in the 4th Artillery Regiment, 1855-1857, and the Quartermaster's Dept., 1861-1882.
- Creation: 1841-1890
Biography of James J. Dana
Career army and Quartermaster's Dept. officer. Raised in Lowell, Mass., and formerly captain in the 3rd Brigade of the 2nd Division of the Massachusetts Militia, James J. Dana joined the regular army (4th Artillery Regiment) from N.Y. in 1855 and served mainly in frontier assignments until 1861, when he joined the Quartermaster's Dept. Rising through the ranks, Dana was in charge of transportation in Washington until Feb. 1863, when he became Chief Quartermaster of the I Corps, serving at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. In 1864 Dana became a division-head in the Quartermaster General's Office. He retired in 1885 and died in 1898.
2 Linear Feet (20 items in 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
Processing Information Note
Formerly known as Ayer MS 22b.
In box with title: American state documents.
U.S. military appointments, on vellum with engraved vignettes.
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889 -- Autographs (Person)
- Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library) (Organization)
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875 -- Autographs (Person)
- Lincoln, Robert Todd, 1843-1926 -- Autographs (Person)
- Massachusetts. Militia. Division, 2nd. Brigade, 3rd -- Appointments and retirements -- 19th century -- Sources (Organization)
- Pierce, Franklin, 1804-1869 -- Autographs (Person)
- United States. Army. Quartermaster's Department -- Appointments and retirements -- 19th century -- Sources (Organization)
- Dana, James J. (James Jackson), 1821-1898 (Person)
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Autographs (Person)
- United States. Army. Regiment of Artillery, 4th -- Appointments and retirements -- 19th century -- Sources (Organization)
- Arthur, Chester Alan, 1829-1886 -- Autographs (Person)
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description