Charles T. Kruse letters
Scope and Contents
Typescripts of letters, dated Aug. 24, 1862-April 18, 1865, from Kruse to his parents and brother and sister, describing his experiences in the Union Army. Beginning with his enlistment and first assignment to Camp Dennison, in Hamilton County, Ohio, Kruse's letters detail the daily hardships of military life in the camps, troop movements of the Union forces through Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia, and his impressions during various battles. His letter of Sept. 14, 1864 contains a map sketch of the movements of his company during the attack on Atlanta, and a copy from Sept. 9, 1864 of Gen. Haskell's thanks to the Union troops for the victory at Atlanta. Also included are two letters from Kruse's mother, Sarah, to her son John: one, dated Dec. 11, 1864, relates that Kruse has been taken prisoner at the battle of Franklin, Tennessee; the other, dated May 26, 1865, laments his death in a boat explosion.
- Creation: 1862-1865
- Kruse, Charles T., -1865 (Person)
Biography of Charles T. Kruse
Union soldier, third sergeant in the Ohio Infantry Regiment, 50th, Company G. Kruse enlisted in August of 1862, and served in the field in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia. He participated in the Union victory in Atlanta under General Sherman. During the battle at Franklin, Tennessee in December 1864, Kruse was taken prisoner and sent to Camp Sumpter prison at Andersonville, Georgia, where he remained until April 1865, when he was released in exchange for rebel prisoners. Returning home in May 1865, Kruse was killed in a boat explosion.
0.2 Linear Feet (123 items in 1 box)
Language of Materials
1 41 2
Formerly VAULT Case MS 10003.
Gift; Mr. Wiliam Rankin; 1982.
In box with title: "Caxton. Civil War Letters. MS."
- Andersonville Prison (Organization)
- Kruse family (Family)
- Kruse, John (Person)
- Kruse, Sarah -- Correspondence (Person)
- United States. Army -- Military life (Organization)
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 50th (1862-1865). Company G (Organization)
- Kruse, Charles T., -1865 -- Correspondence (Person)
Genre / Form
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Ohio -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description