Max Schlund papers
Diary, 1862-1865, kept in German by Max Schlund during the period of his Civil War service, representing a very complete account of the 82nd Regiment's action from its inception until the end of the war. Schlund includes detailed descriptions of battles and marches including Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Knoxville campaign, the Atlanta campaign (Resaca, Cassville, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek), the occupation of Atlanta, the march through Georgia to Savannah, and the Carolinas campaign (Averasboro). He also describes conditions (terrain, diet, equipment), foraging for food and supplies, and the sacking of plantations and destruction of railroads. At the end of the volume are genealogical notes regarding Schlund's birth family and his wife and children, and notes regarding the Civil War service of his father and brothers. Also a typed English translation of the diary entries.
- Creation: 1862-1865
- Schlund, Max, 1844-1932 (Person)
Materials are in German.
Biographical / Historical
German-American Civil War soldier from Chicago. Born in Germany in 1844, Max Schlund emigrated with his parents and siblings to New Jersey in 1853, and settled in Newport, Lake County, Ill., in 1855. Max moved to Chicago in 1858, where he worked as a harness maker, and enlisted there on Aug. 7, 1862 in the 82nd Volunteer Infantry Regiment (also known as the Hecker Regiment). He served until the end of the war, seeing action at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, in Tennessee, and on Sherman's march through Atlanta, Savannah, South Carolina, and North Carolina. He was discharged July 1, 1865, in Chicago. Schlund, who married in 1869 and had three children, died Aug. 23, 1932.
0.2 Linear Feet (1 box)
Ownership and Custodial History
Forms part of the Midwest Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library).
- Schlundt family (Family)
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 82nd (1862-1865) -- Sources -- History (Organization)
- Schlund, Max, 1844-1932 -- Diaries (Person)
- Midwest Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library) (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Knoxville (Tenn.) -- History -- Siege, 1863 -- Sources
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, German American
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Atlanta Campaign, 1864 -- Sources
- Chancellorsville, Battle of, Chancellorsville, Va., 1863 -- Sources
- German Americans -- Illinois -- Diaries
- Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863 -- Sources
- Manuscripts, American
- Sherman's March through the Carolinas -- Sources
- Sherman's March to the Sea -- Sources
- Soldiers -- Illinois -- Diaries
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description