Stockbridge and Munsee Tribe of Indians records
Tribal documents, 1789-1858, including petitions, memorials, arguments, powers of attorney, appointments, agreements, correspondence, financial reports, promissory notes, and requests for payment. Petitions, memorials, and arguments concern the tribe's negotiations with the U.S. government and the state of New York re: land sale profits and their distribution, relocation, citizenship, annuities, and other matters. There are appointments and powers of attorney authorizing John W. Quinney and others to negotiate on behalf of the tribe, correspondence with Indian agent William H. Bruce and with J.B. Macy, and a promissory note signed by Stockbridge missionary John Sergeant. In addition to John W. Quinney, other sachems and councilors signing documents include Jeremiah Slingerland, Joseph M. Quinney, Austin E. Quinney, Ziba T. Peters, Simon S. Metoxen, and John Metoxen.
- Creation: 1789-1858
- Stockbridge and Munsee Tribe of Indians (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
Tribe of the Mohican Confederacy, known as the Stockbridge Indians, which relocated in the mid-1780s to New Stockbridge, N.Y., and again in 1833 to Wisconsin near Green Bay. In 1843 the Stockbridge agreed to move again to lands west of the Mississippi River. This move was averted in 1854 when the tribe negotiated successfully to remain in Wisconsin on 460 acres at Stockbridge near Lake Winnebago.
0.2 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
Butler, R.L. Checklist of Mss. in the Ayer Coll., 836-858.
Processing Information Note
Documents, 1802-1858, formerly known as Ayer MS 837-858.
1852 treasurer's report and 1858 list of Stockbridge Indians due New York state funds shelved in Ayer oversize mss. boxes.
- Slingerland, Jeremiah, -1884 (Person)
- Stockbridge and Munsee Tribe of Indians -- Records and correspondence (Organization)
- Bruce, William H. (Person)
- Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library) (Organization)
- Metoxen, John, 1770 or 1771-1858 (Person)
- Metoxen, Simon S. (Person)
- New York (State). Legislature (Organization)
- Peters, Ziba T. (Person)
- Quinney, Austin E. (Person)
- Quinney, John W., 1797-1855 (Person)
- Quinney, Joseph M. (Person)
- Sergeant, John, 1747-1824 (Person)
- New Stockbridge (N.Y.) -- History -- Sources
- Stockbridge (Wis.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Indians of North America -- New York (State) -- Government relations -- Sources
- Indians of North America -- Wisconsin -- Government relations -- Sources
- Manuscripts, American
- Stockbridge Indians -- Government relations -- Sources
- Stockbridge Indians -- Land tenure -- History -- Sources
- Stockbridge Indians -- Politics and government -- Sources
- Stockbridge Indians -- Relocation -- History -- Sources
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description