Identifier: VAULT oversize-Ayer-MS-3069
Includes three separate accounting statements recording ordnance supplies held at Greenleaf's Point and at Fort Belle Fontaine. The first item is a detailed accounting notebook (18 pages) of expenditures for basic supplies at Greenleaf's Point Arsenal (1817-1820) under the command of Capt. Joseph S. Nelson. The notebook contains over 400 entries for a variety of provisions including lumber, shovels, nails, rope, oil and lead. The other two items briefly enumerate accounts of ordnance stores at Fort Belle Fontaine (Sept. & Dec. 1820). Each statement lists the military weapons held at the fort such as cannons, howitzers, small arms, and ammunition supplies.
- United States. Army. Ordnance Department (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The accounting statements of the U.S. Arsenal at Greenleaf's Point and Fort Belle Fontaine exemplify the Army's ordnance needs in the early years of the republic.,Now known as Fort Lesley J. McNair, the Arsenal at Greenleaf's Point was established in the 1790's at the mouth of the Anacostia River in Washington, D.C. And Fort Belle Fontaine was built in 1805 on the Missouri River just north of St. Louis and served as the military headquarters of the region until 1826.
2.1 Linear Feet (1 oversize folder)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
Fort Belle Fontaine accounts signed: J.S. McIntosh Capt., U. S. Ordnance.
Formerly known as Ayer MS 277b.
Includes three other unidentified accounting items.
- Accounts -- Missouri -- Fort Belle Fontaine -- 1801-1850
- Accounts -- Washington (D.C.) -- Fort Lesley J. McNair -- 1801-1850
- Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
- Fort Belle Fontaine (Mo.)
- Fort Belle Fontaine (Mo.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Fort Lesley J. McNair (Washington, D.C.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Manuscripts, American
- McIntosh, James S.
- Military bases -- Missouri -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Military bases -- Washington (D.C.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Nelson, Joseph S.
- United States. Army -- Ordnance and ordnance stores
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description