Stephen Williams papers
Longmeadow, Mass., Congregational clergyman. Correspondence, 1716-1753, between Stephen Williams and his father, Rev. John Williams; his brothers, Rev. Eleazer Williams of Mansfield, Conn., and Rev. Warsham Williams of Waltham, Mass; his son, Nathan Williams, then a student at Yale College; and Rev. William Williams of Hatfield, Mass. b Subjects include the estate of a relative, family illnesses, college living expenses, resistance of worldly temptations, trips to New York City and Boston, a land controversy with neighbors, etc.
- Williams, Stephen (Person)
Biographical / Historical
Longmeadow, Mass., Congregational clergyman. Born in 1693 to Deerfield, Mass., minister and author, John Williams, and his wife, Eunice, and taken captive with his family and other Deerfield residents by a raiding party of French and Indians in 1703/04, Stephen Williams graduated from Harvard in 1713 and a year later entered a sixty-six year ministry at Longmeadow. In 1734 he was responsible for establishing the mission to the Indians at Stockbridge and he served as chaplain to three army campaigns, 1745-1755.
0.1 Linear Feet (6 items in 1 box)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library).
Formerly known as Ayer MS 1004.5.
In red morocco pull-off case by Riviere & Son for Goodspeed, Boston, with title: Autograph letters of John Williams (the Redeemed Captive) and his Family.
- Clergy -- New England -- Correspondence
- Correspondence -- New England -- 1701-1750
- Correspondence -- New England -- 1751-1800
- Correspondence -- New York (State) -- New York -- 1701-1750
- Deering, Frank Cutter (former owner.)
- Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
- Families -- New England -- History -- 18th century -- Sources
- Manuscripts, American
- Williams family
- Williams, Eleazar -- Correspondence
- Williams, John -- Correspondence
- Williams, Nathan -- Correspondence
- Williams, Stephen -- Correspondence
- Williams, Warham -- Correspondence
- Williams, William -- Correspondence
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description