Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records - Securities
Scope and Content of the Collection
Papers and oversize volumes primarily concerning stocks and bonds, showing the history of sales and transfers. Also includes some miscellaneous financial material. Original organization also included a second Miscellaneous Series (4.9). New England Trust-related materials previously housed in 4.9 were integrated into Mortgages (4.4); remaining 4.9 materials were integrated into Miscellaneous 4.8.
Forms part of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records.
This finding aid supersedes the Guide to the Burlington Archives in the Newberry Library, 1851-1901 (Chicago: Newberry Library, 1949), and incorporates subsequent additions to the company records. Certain materials have been deaccessioned and donated to the Burlington Route Historical Society; see curator for details.
- Creation: 1856-1922
- Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company (Organization)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.
106.7 Linear Feet (39 boxes, 1 oversize box, and 137 volumes)
Financial materials of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company (CB&Q), primarily papers and oversize volumes concerning stocks and bonds, showing the history of sales and transfers. Forms part of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records.
Papers are organized in eight series
- Series 4.1: Ledgers, 1865-1908
- Volumes +1-+44
- Series 4.2: Bonds, 1858-1909
- Boxes 1-7; Volumes +1-+37
- Series 4.3: Stocks, 1856-1920s
- Boxes 8-10; Volumes +1-+39
- Series 4.4: Mortgages, 1860-1922
- Boxes 11-17; Box +1; Volume +1
- Series 4.5: Circulars & Warrants, 1857-1922
- Box 18
- Series 4.6: Lists of Securities, 1880-1920
- Boxes 18-37; Volumes +1-+3
- Series 4.7: Records, Settlements of Rights, etc., 1866-1906
- Volumes +1-+13
- Series 4.8: Miscellaneous, 1869-1917
- Box 38-39
Collection Stack Location
4a 35 10-11; 4a 38 4-10
Deposit of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Company, 1943, with subsequent additions, 1948-onward. Ownership transferred to Newberry Library by Burlington Northern Company, 1975.
Martha Briggs, Alison Hinderliter, Lisa Janssen, Kelly Kress, Emma Martin, Andrew Olofsson, and Pamela Olson, 2014.
- Inventory of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records - Securities, 1856-1922
- Alison Hinderliter and Kelly Kress
- Language of description
- Script of description