Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records - Maps, Blueprints, and Drawings
Scope and Content of the Collection
Printed maps, manuscript maps, technical blueprints, and drawings produced by the CB&Q and its affiliated lines. There are many route maps printed along with timetables in brochure format and provided to the public for their information. These maps also usually include illustrations and sometimes advertisements. Blueprints and drawings consist of volumes of technical drawings for CB&Q and other roads, some drawings for lettering on cars, and scattered rolled and flat blueprints and gradient maps of various sections of lines, most of which are in Missouri, Illinois, or Iowa.
Forms part of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records.
This finding aid supersedes the Guide to the Burlington Archives in the Newberry Library, 1851-1901 (Chicago: Newberry Library, 1949), and incorporates subsequent additions to the company records.
- Creation: 1870-1971
- Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company (Organization)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.
26.8 Linear Feet (.5 box, 2 oversize boxes, 17 flat file folders, 1 oversize folder, 2 oversize volumes, 1 oversize item, and 53 rolls)
Printed maps, manuscript maps, technical blueprints, and drawings produced by the CB&Q and its affiliated lines. Forms part of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records.
Papers are organized in the following series
- Series A-6-1: Maps and Plats
- Flat File Drawers 4-5; oversize poster on top of Flat File Drawer cabinet
- Series A-6-2: Blueprints and Drawings
- Boxes 1-2; oversize folder; Volumes 1-2; Rolls 1-53; Flat File Drawer 6
Collection Stack Location
4a 37 2; 4a 21 3-4; 4a flat files
Deposit of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Company, 1943, with subsequent additions, 1948-onward. Ownership transferred to Newberry Library by Burlington Northern Company, 1975.
Separated Materials: CB&Q
The following CB&Q maps are rolled and individually cataloged:
- Burlington Route : best line between Chicago, Denver, St. Louis, St. Paul, Minneapolis, Omaha, Kansas City and Billings, Mont. Chicago: Poole Bros., 1896. Note: extremely fragile; not to be used. Cartographic catalog says it is awaiting conservation. Call number: maproll G3701.P3 1896 .P6
- Chicago, Burlington & Quincy R.R. system. Chicago: Office of Valuation Engineer. Blueline print, scale 1:1,267,000 or 1'=20 miles. Coverage extends from Illinois to southeastern Montana, 1919. Call number: maproll G4126 .P3 1919 C5
- Map of the west : Burlington Route. Chicago: Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, 1940. Call number: maproll G4051 .P3 1940 C5
- Map of the west : Burlington Route. Chicago: Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company,  Call number: maproll G4051 .P3 1949 C5
Separated Materials: Other
The following maps were found in the CB&Q collection but do not show CB&Q routes and were removed to be cataloged separately:
- Campbell's Revised Guide Map of St. Louis Showing Boundaries, Streets, Wards, Street Railways, Parks, Etc., Etc. with Street Directory. St. Louis: R. A. Campbell, 1882, 1883, and 1887. (Separated from 33 1880 2, Decade Files - Box 48, Folder 389, St. Louis Merchants Bridge - Correspondence, 1887-1888)
- Detailed map: Railroads in the State of Colorado. Golden, CO: Colorado Railroad Museum, Jul. 1963. (Separated from the Richard Overton Papers)
- Guide Map of New Chicago and Suburbs, published by Stine & Clark, 125 Clark Street, Rooms 23 & 24, 1889-1890. Stamped "East Chicago Land companies, Office, 529 'The Rookery' Chicago, Ills." Illustrations of 10 buildings and scenes at the bottom of the map. 42 x 28 in.
Martha Briggs, Alison Hinderliter, Lisa Janssen, Kelly Kress, Emma Martin, Andrew Olofsson, and Pamela Olson, 2014.
- Inventory of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company Records - Maps, Blueprints, and Drawings, 1870-1971
- Alison Hinderliter and Kelly Kress
- Language of description
- Script of description