Clu. Clubs and Organizations
Found in 77 Collections and/or Records:
Collection of papers pertaining to the Iowa League of Women Voters and one of its members, Mrs. Lanche Wolf, of Charles City, Iowa. Included are the constitution and by-laws of the Iowa League of Women Voters; correspondence, membership cards, programs, and financial plans.
STORED OFFSITE – Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access. Minutes, membership applications and other member information, yearbooks, papers delivered, and other records of this Chicago social club. The brainchild of Eugene Prussing, the club was founded in 1883 as an organization for young lawyers. It soon became a prestigious group known for its entertainments and has counted such prominent figures as Adlai Stevenson and Kenesaw Mountain Landis among its members.
Manuscript ledger and minutes of the League of Property Owners of Chicago, 1950-1961.
Business records of the Little Room, an early twentieth century Chicago social club composed of artists, writers, musicians, etc., including correspondence, memorabilia and membership material.
Typewritten essays presented at meetings of the Winnetka Fortnightly, 1930s-1950s, an essay presented to the Mary Noble Club in Kenwood, ca. 1905, plus a scrapbook of childhood poetry and a literary newspaper dating from 1894, some collected early poetry (collected in 1914), volumes of verse written during the 1920s, copies of her poetry published in the Chicago Daily News and the Ladies' Home Journal.
Materials related to "An Evening with Carl Sandburg" from the third annual Birmingham Arts Festival, June 19, 1960
Includes reel to reel tape recording of Carl Sandburg's presentation from June 19, 1960 at the Birmingham Arts Festival, a program from the event, and copies of correspondence regarding permission to reproduce the recording. Also includes a copy of the agreement contract between Sandburg and the Bloomfield Art Association regarding the recording.
Primarily newsletters of the Near North Chicago branch of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. Also includes a small amount of correspondence, meeting minutes, blank stationary, and notes. The Unitarian Universalist Association is a religious organization that combines the traditions of the Universalists, who organized in 1793, and the Unitarians, who organized in 1825. They consolidated into the UUA in 1961.
Chicago-area club founded in 1916 by women living in the North Shore suburbs of Chicago. The Club had a history of philanthropic endeavors, giving out grants and scholarships. Records include newsletters, administrative and financial records, yearbooks, event planning files (flower shows and garden walks), photographs, and a scrapbook of ribbons won at flower shows. The Club dissolved in 2019.
STORED OFFSITE – Contact email@example.com for access. First known (in 1959) as the Fine Arts Music Foundation, and later as Chamber Music Chicago, the group changed its name to Performing Arts Chicago to reflect a diversification of programming. Programming, performance, and financial files of the organization.
Correspondence, photographs, reports, and publicity relating to the Ravinia Festival, a summer music festival held at Ravinia Park in Highland Park, Illinois, since 1904 (non-continuous).
Records of the Ruth Page Foundation, a cultural non-profit organization committed to the education, promotion, and presentation of dance in Chicago. Founded by Ruth Page in 1970, the Foundation continues to support a number of dance initiatives. Includes administrative, personnel, financial, and publicity materials for both the Foundation and the Ruth Page School of Dance.
Press clippings, publications, correspondence and miscellaneous materials of the Shaw Society, dedicated to the appreciation of the works of George Bernard Shaw. Much of the material documents the Shaw Festival held in Chicago in 1956 and Society activities in the late-1950s.
Proceedings, minutes, menus, etc. of a Chicago group devoted to off-color limericks and like endeavors.
Files pertaining to the Society of Typographical Arts workshop, organized in 1952 (and located at the Newberry Library until 1981) to give its member the opportunity to learn to use, design and experiment with type and block prints for letterpress printing. Included are files about the workshop as well as samples of material produced by members.
Administrative records of the Sons of the Revolution, Illinois Society. Also includes publications from the Illinois Society as well as the national Sons of the Revolution organization.
The Standard Club was founded in 1869 as a social club for Jewish business and community leaders in Chicago. The Standard Club records include printed reports, minutes, committee records, member records, event invitations and announcements, administrative files, photographs and scrapbooks.
Chicago's Stone-Camryn School of Ballet was founded in 1941 by established dancers Walter Camryn and Bentley Stone. It became one of the most successful American ballet schools in placing its graduates in professional companies, and in creating new generations of dance teachers. Archives include personal and biographical material from Stone and Camryn, school records, scrapbooks, diaries, photographs, programs, clippings, and choreographic notes.
The Tavern Club was established in Chicago in 1928. "Artists, architects, merchants and media moguls would frequent the club, enjoying fine food and drink while taking in the exceptional views of Michigan Avenue, Chicago River and Lake Michigan." (from the website). Records include meeting minutes, 1928-1943, and a printed membership roster from 1997.
Collection of temperance pledge certificates representing many major temperance organizations (both American and trans-Atlantic), some families, and a variety of states and localities.
The Wayfarers met seven times a year for luncheons with guest speakers at the Chicago Club. Chicago artists Lorado Taft and John T. McCutcheon were amongst its members. Collection consists of photos, membership records, scrapbooks, minutes, and financial records.
International organization started in Chicago in 1944 by Leland D. Case, editor of "The Rotarian Magazine," and Elmo Scott Watson, newspaperman and educator, to bring together historians and buffs interested in the American West. Records include correspondence and other materials documenting the activities of the group.